1. What made you want to be a chemist?
It was either that or painting houses in Kansas in the summer of 1964.
2. If you weren’t a chemist and could do any other job, what would it be – and why?
An architect; you get to make up stuff that others build and – wait, I’m already doing that!
3. What are you working on now, and where do you hope it will lead?
A molecular device that intercepts and destroys chemical warfare agents. I hope it would be a deterrent to terrorists.
4. Which historical figure would you most like to have dinner with – and why?
The Ayatollah Khomeini – a nice old man and a snappy dresser…
5. When was the last time you did an experiment in the lab – and what was it?
At least 30 years ago; I used a CO2 extinguisher to put out a lab fire of a coworker.
6. If exiled on a desert island, what one book and one music album would you take with you?
“Infinite Jest” and “Akhnaten”
7. Which chemist would you like to see interviewed on Reactions – and why?
What is “Reactions”?